What is the difference between Population Health Management
& Disease Management?
- Health Management takes the concept of disease management
to the next level:
- It integrates all components for a physiologic condition
of the whole patient population, whereas disease management programs
require that a disease manifests itself.
- A disease management counterpart to our program would be
one that manages the care of premature babies.
- Therefore, in order to get into the premature baby
management program, a child would have to be born prematurely!
What is the correct healthcare definition of pregnancy?
- Pregnancy is, optimally, a 42-week developmental process in
which a separate healthy human being is produced
- Pregnancy is a natural condition of a woman, not a disease
- Pregnancy is a condition that has many developmental stages
with risk factors associated with each stage
- The risk factors, if detected, can be stabilized or
minimized through proper and timely care coordination.
- This condition requires continual oversight by several
different care providers and calls for the education of the mother such
that she may be a participating part of the delivery system team.
- This process flows into the management of the newborn
through all of its health management during the first year of life